Thursday, May 15, 2008

Its Offical - I'm looking for a New Job


I knew this day was coming, every thing had been building up but the explosion happened yesterday. Yesterday, I have officially decided to seek a new job (in Atlanta). Wow -- even typing it for the blog makes it seem more final and more scary.

It's been a really hard decision for a number of reasons but I've weighed all of the pros and cons and have really thought out all of my options and I think this is the course I need to take. So as of yesterday, I'm officially one the job search. I'm going to take things slow thought, primarily because I have a large bonus coming from the project I just completed and it won't be distributed until September 19th. My second reason for taking things slow is that I'm the eternal optimist and I can't help but hope/wish/dream that things will change and I can stay with my current company.

Since deciding that I need to seek a new job I've been trying to think out my action plan so here's what I've got so far:
-By Next Weekend update my resume
- Tuesday, May 20th have dinner with my old mentor to seek guidance
- Start contacting people I know that work for other GC's to feel out their job market
- Talk to my old boss about being a reference and if he has any suggestions of places to look
- Contact people through professional organizations that I'm involved with.

Any other good ideas?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have any other good ideas for you - but wish you the best of luck!

frugal zeitgeist said...

Best of luck - that's a brave thing to do, but it sounds like you've really thought it through. I think you have all the important things covered. Best of luck with your search.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Future Millionaire. It's tough searching for a job. I hate it which is why I've been learning as much about web marketing as possible. More streams of income you know.

Since you're looking at a new job why don't you pick up 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller. This book will give you great job hunting ideas and maybe lead you to a job you've never thought about but would absolutely love.

Best Wishes

"Future Millionaire" said...

Thanks all for your well wishes. It an especially difficult time to be looking for a job in the construction industry as one of the direct results of this "recession" is a huge slow down in commercial construction and there's been a lot of lay offs across all companies. But I confidence and time is on my side so we'll just have to see.

Subscribe To Recieve Email Updates of Saving Savy