Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Roth IRA


I am so proud of myself today, I finally opened a Roth IRA. I had been thinking about doing this for about 8 months, even have been saving for it but the idea of actually opening it and then choosing the mutual funds was so overwhelming to me. For some reason today it dawned on me that the end of the year is nearing and I realized if I didn't do it this week I wouldn't contribute for 2007 (yes I know I can contribute per the IRS rules until my tax bill is due - April 15). This realization propelled me to action and so I go online and you know what - it took no time. I probably spent all of 10 minutes on line and bamm I was done! It's amazing what you'll put off that really isn't a big deal.

In case you're curious about the Roth IRA, I opened it at Vanguard primarily because my company's 401k plan is with Vanguard and it make it easier on me to have it all in one location. I'm a firm believe that the key to success is to keep it simple. On top of keeping it "all in the family" I also opted for Vanguard because of their no load fees and no account management fees (provided you opt for the web based mailing in lieu of paper mailers) plus I like Vanguard's 500 Index Fund which is tied to the S&P 500. All in all in about 10 minutes worth of time I successfully completed a task I'd been putting off for months.

No comments:

Subscribe To Recieve Email Updates of Saving Savy